Friday, April 15, 2016

#SHELFIE







During my time in the Marines, I spent more than my share of time waiting for a flight to somewhere or other. Most military air terminals have a shelf unit full of paperback books, well-worn and sometimes missing pages. I enjoyed picking up a book with no expectations and just seeing where the story went. It wasn't like I had much else to do.

It was on one of these shelves that I first discovered Brad Meltzer. The Book of Lies pulled me in and kept me turning the pages so well that I bought The Book of Fate at my destination. I liked how his writing told a story and built a puzzle at the same time.

Executive Power by Vince Flynn caught my eye on a trip to the grocery store. The realism in the story, the way that consequences were considered before decisions were made, added to the genuine feel of the story. Mr Flynn did his research well, and I was disheartened to hear of his passing a few years ago.

Arctic Drift by Clive Cussler was one I picked up after reading Treasure of Khan during my trip home from Afghanistan. It was a good story, with the science to back up the actions. An author should write what he or she knows, and Clive Cussler knows the ocean.

One of my favorite movies, Shooter, was based on the novel Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter, so I bought Night of Thunder because it has the same protagonist. The story revolves around a NASCAR race, which I've never really been into, but the book was good, regardless. Bob Lee Swagger was older, but still a force to be reckoned with.

Mark Greaney's The Gray Man inspired my protagonist, John Smith, with the ability of the character to assimilate into whatever surroundings he finds himself in. His character also tries to get out of sticky situations without bloodshed, but doesn't have time for regrets when he is pushed into killing to survive.

I first heard of the character John Kelley/John Clark from Without Remorse in the film adaptation of The Sum of All Fears. I wished there would have been more scenes with him in the movie, because he didn't seem to care if he caused an international incident in the course of doing his job. His entire background story in this book satisfied that craving, and the hyperbaric chamber scene was pure badass. I read the whole book over the span of three days, during my last week in Afghanistan.

I enjoy reading The Oatmeal comics, so it was a natural choice for me to buy Matthew Inman's book, 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth.

I have a MacGyver complex, which is why I own a book on tying knots. There are some applications where a shoelace bow will not work, and knowing the right knot for the job is important.

Absinthe and Flamethrowers by William Gurstelle is the ultimate how-to book for having fun without getting arrested. It tells how to make your own gunpowder and rocket fuel, how to throw knives, and several other things that make a person feel alive inside.

I've been a fan of The Punisher since I was a kid, and the Marvel MAX run written by Garth Ennis is the best storyline I've ever read. While each book in the ten-part series is its own story, the narrative flows all the way through. There are also stand-alone Punisher books, too.

Alan Moore's The Killing Joke is one of the best Batman stories ever written. I bought it because I had read somewhere that Christopher Nolan gave it to Heath Ledger for inspiration to play the Joker.

The drywall book and the Haynes manual for my Tacoma are only there because they don't fit on any other shelf, but they both see their fair share of use. I have a house to remodel, and I don't like paying anyone to do anything on my truck that I'm capable of doing for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment